Partnerské stránky:

 

UNSK

 

Ubytovanie na vidieku

 

Visititra

 

Slovakia travel

 

 

 Poklady kraja

 

 

Castle of Topoľčianky

Category: Castles

District of Zlaté Moravce, Municipality of Topoľčianky

The beginnings of Castle of Topoľčianky go back to the 13th century, when the not so big squared building with dimensions of 10 x 9 m was built. In order to ensure better defence, the entrance was at the height of the first floor accessible through wooden stairs. There was built a huge wooden palisade between moat and the building itself. In the 14th century towers were extended by other areas and gradually the castle of 19,5 x 22,5 m emerged.

Building’s development was probably related to the privilege of prospecting for placer gold in the nearby brook, granted by Hungarian king Charles Robert to the then castle’s owner Július Rúfus in 1307. Other premises and the basement were additionally built to the basic building. Stone well was situated to the north from the castle. Fortress got the biggest dimensions at the beginning of the 15th century. Before the middle of the 16th century, because of the Turkish threat, the defence tower was added on eastern side. But nor this did help and in the spring 1535 the castle was burnt down and destroyed by John Záblatný from Hrušov Castle and by Turkish unit. The new manor house was gradually built around the „old“ castle and fortress falling in disrepair was transformed into courtyard. Castle’s remains were accidentally discovered in 1990 during fountain’s reconstruction. The current manor house has a Renaissance foundation that had been persisted in internal arcade courtyard. Its current external look is the result of the extensive Classicist renovation from the beginning of the 19th century. The then owner, count John Keglevich, demolished southern Renaissance wing and in its place a Classicist wing was built, considered to be one of the most beautiful and purest architectonical manifestations of Classicism in Slovakia.

In the past the castle was summer residence of Habsburgs, after the World War I served as a presidential resort. In that period the last bigger reconstruction of three Renaissance wings of all object was realized. The first president of the Czechoslovak Republic T. G. Masaryk liked to go to Topoľčianky regularly, not only to relax but also to work. The Classicist castle wing was gradually transformed into museum. Its visitors can admire rich library with more than 14.000 volumes that is one of the few extant castle libraries in Slovakia. Also period interior and precious furniture from period between the 16th and 19th century with beautiful pictural decoration and collections from ceramics and porcelain (it is one of the biggest collections of ceramics in Slovakia) deserve the attention. The castle is a national cultural monument.

(Source: www.muzeum.sk)

Open all year

Visiting days:

Tuesday - Friday from 09.00 to 15.00 h.
Saturday - Sunday from 12.00 to 16.00 h.
Tours start on an hourly basis. Visits on Saturday and Sunday must be reported in advance.

Contact:
Hotel Zámok Topoľčianky
Parková 1
951 93 Topoľčianky
Tel.:  037/ 7777 555
www.zamok-topolcianky.sk