The first written reference to Bátovce is from 1086 in summary of properties of monastery in Bakonybél (Hungary).
Parochial record from 1731 states phrasing of chronosticon that was situated on the church’s wall. According to this, the church in Bátovce was built in 1070 by soldier Opos Bathor, serving in king Solomon’s army. According to tradition also monastery used to stay near the church.
Architectonical-historical research, performed in 2008, revealed in building’s substance, that was until then regarded as Gothic with Baroque reconstruction, remains of Romanesque church. From Romanesque construction stage, dated to the 2nd half of the 13th century, all the southern part of nave is extant. In its substance four walled up windows were found, western part of northern wall and part of northern wall of sanctuary. Dimensions of Romanesque nave were approximately identical to dimensions of current nave, they have failed to reveal the shape of sanctuary.
In western part of nave there was matroneum from which tower dragged into ground plan was rising. Size of church gives notice of historical importance of the residence - town of queens. This label of Bátovce means that as a town with royal privileges it was part of hereditary property of feminine branch of ruling Hungarian royal dynasty.
At the turn of the 14th and 15th century one of two Gothic reconstructions of church were realized. It consisted of extending by sacristy on the southern side of sanctuary, reconstruction of northern wall of nave with Gothic window with discharging arch, and creation of Gothic portal on southern side of nave that was probably built in place of original Romanesque entrance. The second Gothic reconstruction took place between the 2nd half of the 15th and beginning of the 16th century. Monumental tower was added to western facade. Vault of church’s nave comes from Late-Renaissance up to the Early Baroque reconstruction from the 2nd half of the 16th and 17th century. In that period also fencing wall with slot embrasures was built.
Church has its current look after Late Baroque reconstruction in the years 1752-1787, rebuilt was sanctuary of church and ossarium was added on the northern side. Then the only more extensive reconstruction in 1942 followed, when exterior plaster was replaced and the last renovation of exterior was done in 2008.
Source: the Regional Monuments Board in Nitra