The oldest written reference to village is deed of the king Béla IV of 1235. The church, probably built in 1240, was documented in writing in 1285. According to tradition it was a monasterial church while the monastery was supposedly situated in place of today’s manor house yet in the 17th century. Canonical visitation of 1559 mentions Church of St. Nicholas and Monastery of the Blessed Virgin Mary. In deed of 1610 monastery is mentioned as territorial lord’s curia that used to be monks’ monastery. Canonical visitation of 1697 mentions existence of the second church in Krušovce that had been for long time property of military order. We miss knowledge in order to precisely define development of church and to confirm existence of monastery. Those can be obtained by researches of the monument. In 1560 the church wasn’t maintained, it was without roof, and in 1702 it was almost destroyed. On the basis of known data it is possible to state that church had maintained its original Romanesque look until the 18th century.
The first major rebuilding was documented in 1764 when the nave was vaulted and Romanesque windows were replaced by the new ones. Oratory on the southern side of apse comes from the half of the 19th century. New roof structure has form of asinine back. In 1966 the church was plastered again, last restoration of external facades is from 1991.
Massive substance of Romanesque building with rectangular nave, semi-circular apse, matroneum, and two towers is preserved up to the present. More recent, Baroque vaulting of nave, apses and triumphal arch are lower than used to be in Romanesque church. Evidence is given by remains of original building structures and window apertures in attic, that are at the same time bearers of Early Gothic mural paintings with motives of legend about St. Nicholas and with portrayal of prophets in medallions in internal area of triumphal arch. In apse there is preserved part of original brick canteen, behind it there is fragment of original stone paving. Matroneum bears signs of more recent rebuilding, we can determine its Romanesque origin according to two massive supporting pillars. Main, western facade, formed by two monumental Romanesque towers rising from structure of matroneum, is example of symbolic wall - westwork.