Village was mentioned already in 1135. In 1282 it was part of old property of monastery in Šahy. Originally Late Romanesque church from 1240-1260 went through multiple reconstructions.
From the oldest Late Romanesque stage we can identify single-nave disposition and three windows with inclined ceiling on southern side. Sanctuary with same closure and slightly pressed surbased barrel vault were probably reconstructed during subsequent building interventions.
Settlement of Saag is mentioned for the first time in deed of the king Béla IV of 1237.
Premonstratensian monastery was founded by Martin from Hont-Poznan dynasty before 1238, the king itself participated on its consecration. Despite many disasters monastery existed until 1540s. From the middle of the 13th century it was a trustworthy place for confirmation and verification of documents.
Starý Tekov The first written reference to village is in foundation charter of Benedictine abbacy in Hronský Beňadik of 1075. Simultaneously the village became seat of archdeacon as mentioned in the oldest written reference of 1156.
Parish church is dominant feature of the hill in central location of village, in direction to the north-east from church hill the castle hill shows up (location Várhedy) with archeological locality of vanished county castle and on the south-western end of hill there used to be situated another Church of Saint Michael the Archangel. .
In 1113 Sokolníky are mentioned in neighbourhood of properties of Zobor monastery. Location of vanished Church of St. Michael is on terraced promontory, to the north from town part of Sokolníky. Archeological research in locality was for the first time realized between 1965 and 1966 (Habovštiak, A.: Podhorany-Sokolníky, reports on findings AÚ SAV in Nitra no. 3454/66 a 4737/69). Researches from period 2010-2012 (Paterka, P.: Bisták, P.: Šimkovič, M.:Tirpák,J.: Archeologický a architektonicko-historicý výskum Kostola sv. Michala v Podhoranoch-Sokolníkoch, in Ranostredoveká sakrálna architektúra Nitrianskeho kraja, 2011, the Regional Monuments Board of Nitra) had specified construction development of the church, revealed course of fencing wall of cemetery, also foundations of unknown building near southern church entrance. On grave disc there was found a portrayal of previously unknown coat of arms of Lefantovský family.
According to written reports village is mentioned for the first time in Zobor deed of 1113 as „Mechina“. Church’s origin dates back to the beginning of the 13th century. Romanesque church had rectangular nave and semicircular, slightly prolonged apse vaulted with concha. In 1794 church’s nave was prolonged in western direction, church was extended by sacristy, matroneum and outside tower. These reconstructions substantially suppressed medieval look. The most recent intervention is Classicist reconstruction of plasters.
The oldest written reference to village and church comes from 1234, from 1268 it was a property of Forgách family. According to overview of pontifical tithes from 1332-1337 there used to be a parish office. Single-nave church with semicircular sanctuary is from the 1st third of the 13th century.