District of Zlaté Moravce, Municipality of Lovce
Bison park is situated to the north from Municipality of Lovce, about 10 kilometres from Topoľčianky. It was established in 1958 with purpose to save bisons threatened by extinction. Bisons are the biggest European mammals and currently they live only in protected areas. The biggest individuals reach height of 2 metres and lenght of 3 metres weighing around 1 500 kg.
District of Komárno, town of Komárno
Fortification system in Komárno was the biggest fortification system of Austro-Hungarian monarchy. Beside old and new fortress it consists of fortification lines of Palatín and Váh enforced by bastions. Advanced smaller fortresses were built on the other shore of Danube and today they are in town of Komárom in Hungarian Republic.
Fortress is built on place of original Komárno Castle guarding confluence of Váh and Danube and later ford across Váh.
Town of Topoľčianky
The horse breeding farm proudly bears attribute of National Stud Farm from 1921. It is the only place in Europe where five horse breeds are bred at the same time. It focuses on breeding of Shagya Arabian, lipizzan, hutsul, purebred Arabian and Slovak warm-blooded horse. Herd’s quantity is 550 pieces. Part of the stud farm is situated in the territory of Topoľčianky Castle – summer residence of the first president of the Czechoslovak Republic T.G. Masaryk.
District of Nitra, town of Nitra
Electronic Age have brought many benefits mainly when it comes to receiving information. Access to many things is possible almost immediately. The fact that text, photos or video can’t replace real experience, is indisputable.
Same idea led founders on the 23 October 1922 to foundation of Slovak Museum of Agriculture as of an institution expositions of which would show all the known history of agriculture and its inseparable connection with culture and survival of the mankind.
Nitra- Diakovce- Hurbanovo- Komárno- Bíňa- Sazdice- Malé Kosihy- Kostoľany pod Tribečom- Nitrianska Blatnica- Dražovce- Nitra
The first Christian church among the Slavs was consecrated under government of the prince Pribina in Nitra in 830. Under the government of ruler of Great Moravia Svätopluk also the first diocese in all the Central and Eastern Europe was established in Nitra in 880 and in the same year there was established also Benedictine monastery on Zobor. Thanks to this Nitra and its surroundings became firm centres of Christian religion that could withstand also during following hard years after downfall of the Great Moravian Empire and consolidation of Kingdom of Hungary when strong anti-Christian pressure appeared.
The objective of cognitive trip is to familiarize with the oldest extant Christian monuments as well as with the most important sacral buildings from Pre-Roman period to the present day.
Machulince – Vráble – Buhunice – Kolárovo - Nitra
Milling have always been specific part of ancient crafts. Mill as a place that „ties up“ otherwise uncontrollable natural energy of water or wind for flour milling had represented a mysterious, even mystic place in Medieval culture. Lot of mysterious stories and legends about haunted mills connected with millers and mills are the common part of local traditions. Milling in the Nitra Region has a rich past. Developed agriculture connected with grains growing, as well as big amount of suitable watercourses contributed to establishment of big number of mills. Water mills were built on each river, known became for example Žitava river. Specific type of mills used mainly on Danube and bottom part of Váh were shipboard water mills allowing to transfer mill on the river according to rate of flow in order to always get maximum output. That was necessary mainly in dry summer months when traditional water mills were fighting with lack of water in rivers.
District of Nitra, town of Nitra
It’s better to see once than hear a hundred times. Everyone who have ever tried to learn something and to remember a little from it can confirm this. Visitors of Agrokomplex exhibition centre know this already for 40 years. When Agrokomplex came to the first exhibition in 1974, no one could know that four decades later it will be possible to visit the event bearing the same name and on the same place. But many things have changed since then and people under Zobor do not gather anymore only during harvest celebrations and harvest supper. It is the other way around. Now you can witness events of all the possible kinds.
District of Zlaté Moravce, Municipality of Vieska nad Žitavou
Arboretum Mlyňany is situated in Municipality of Vieska nad Žitavou and covers the area of 67 hectares. It was established in 1892 by Dr Štefan Ambrózy-Migazzi and currently thanks to extent of grown exotic woody plants it is one of the biggest arboretums in the Central Europe. In the middle of arboretum there is a romantic manor house, residence of arboretum’s administration and there is a small museum dedicated to its founder. Whole area consists of five thematic parts and own growing shop selling woody plants and flowers growed here. The oldest part of arboretum, named Ambrózy’s park is right behind the manor house, more recent parts are dedicated to dendroflora area of Eastern Asia and Northern America. Separate part is dedicated to Slovakia and the path leading from arboretum’s entrance to manor house is lined by part dedicated to flowers and rosarium.
District of Topoľčany, Municipality of Bojná
Middle parts of valleys of Váh and Nitra with mountains of Považský Inovec and Strážov Mountains used to belong to Carpathia Basin to settlement enclaves that made a strong record in history of the country from its origin sometimes in the course of Earlier Stone Age. Many monuments left by thousands of years lasting settlement are known thank to archeologists. Many of old settlements, graves or soil fortifications are still hidden and protected by the soil and they are still awaiting to be discovered.
Researches in Bojná have brought many new findings. A new power and economic headquarters, having boom at the beginning of the 9th century, were identified. In fortified settlement there was found a high number of precious objects, many weapons, iron shackles, women decorations or men jewels.
Danube River, District of Komárno, Municipality of Patince
Harbour Marina Patince is situated on river mile number 1752 surrounded by a beautiful nature and nearby riparian forests or Island of cormorants. Harbour was built in 2007 and since then there is anchored a pleasure boat WELLNESS I, regularly navigating to surrounding, historically attractive towns as Komárno, Štúrovo or Esztergom in Hungary. In Harbour Patince there is also yacht harbour for 30 yachts.
District of Nitra, town of Nitra
It really pays off to visit Botanical garden SPU in Nitra. To be for the moment in the green heart of the university and to rest in pleasing environment is a medicine for the soul.