It was conquered and burnt down in 1446 during battles with armies of John Hunyadi, after the situation calmed down, it was reconstructed again and in the course of following centuries it was constantly extended. At the end of the 16th century it became a property of the family of Forgách de Ghymes and it was rebuilt into palace in Renaissance style. Last owners of the castle were Stummers who at the turn of the 19th and 20th century partially preserved and rearranged the castle, that was falling apart, in romantic way. Thanks to this reconstruction castle tower got its current characteristic silhouette.
Despite the fact that the castle used to be a residence of many aristocratic families, today it attracts visitors mostly thanks to its romantic look. During the visit tourists can enjoy beautiful views of Ponitrie, mountain chains of Tríbeč, Vtáčnik and Považský Inovec but also of reconstructed area of the upper castle with amphitheatre auditorium.
(Source: text: klastertopolcany.sk)